Chocolate Caramel Cake with Butterscotch Frosting Recipe
Chocolate cake from a boxed mix gets a special treatment when spread with an easy butterscotch frosting and draped with a caramel-nut topping. “I love to make this cake for guests or to take to potlucks,” writes Gloria Guadron of Washington, Indiana. “It’s easy yet looks like it took all day.”
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1 cup cold 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups whipped topping
- 1. Prepare and bake cake according to package directions for two 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and cream. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium. Do not stir. Cook for 3-6 minutes or until bubbles form in center of mixture and color is amber brown. Remove from the heat; stir in pecans. Cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk pudding mix and milk for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Place one cake layer on a serving platter; spread with 3/4 cup pudding mixture. Top with remaining cake layer; spread remaining pudding mixture over top and sides of cake.
- 5. If necessary, reheat pecan mixture over low heat to achieve a spreading consistency. Spoon pecan mixture around edge of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Caramel Cake with Butterscotch Frosting
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC