Chocolate Caramel Cake with Butterscotch Frosting Recipe
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1 cup cold 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups whipped topping
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions for two 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and cream. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium. Do not stir. Cook for 3-6 minutes or until bubbles form in center of mixture and color is amber brown. Remove from the heat; stir in pecans. Cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk pudding mix and milk for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter; spread with 3/4 cup pudding mixture. Top with remaining cake layer; spread remaining pudding mixture over top and sides of cake.
- If necessary, reheat pecan mixture in a microwave for up to 30 seconds to achieve a spreading consistency. Spoon pecan mixture around edge of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Caramel Cake with Butterscotch Frosting(3)
Sort By :
An excellent recipe using a box cake mix! The only tweak was to make whipped cream using heavy cream (about 2 to 2 1/2 cups) and then adding the butterscotch pudding mix in place of the milk and whipped topping. Once you ice the cake with this mixture, place in the fridge for a little while to firm up. DO NOT put the warmed pecan mixture directly on top of the cake, or you will have volcano running down the side. Let cool to room temperature before placing on the iced cake. You will achieve the result like the picture!
Delicious! I made this for my husband's birthday and it was a huge hit. I substituted butter pecan cake mix for the chocolate since he's not too into chocolate. The frosting is light and not too sweet. It led me to experiment with other pudding flavors- I made my mom a vanilla cake with lemon frosting (using lemon instant pudding mix and whipped topping) it was also a big success!
was a little concerned with putting the warm caramel on the pudding icing...was a little melty..any suggestions???
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Caramel Cake >
- Chocolate Cake >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Jello Pudding Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >