Chocolate Caramel Breads Recipe
Candy bars are the chocolate-caramel surprise in this bread. I invented this braid as a way to make my basic yeast sweet bread recipe a little more decadent.
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 48 fun-size Snickers or Milky Way candy bars
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the sour cream, water and butter to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide into thirds. On a greased baking sheet, roll out one portion into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Place 16 candy bars lengthwise in two rows down the center third of the rectangle.
- On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips into the center to within 1/2 in. of candy bars. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across candy bars. Pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough and candy bars. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Beat egg white and water; brush over braids. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Chocolate Caramel Breads in Best of Country Breads 2000, p90
Reviews for Chocolate Caramel Breads(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review