Chocolate Caramel Bars
Taking dessert or another treat to a church or school potluck is never a problem for me. I jump at the chance to offer these rich, chocolaty bars.
36 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk, divided
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt caramels with 1/3 cup milk;
- stir until smooth. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream butter until
- light and fluffy. Beat in dry cake mix and remaining milk.
- Spread half of the dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 6 minutes; sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Gently spread caramel mixture over chips. Drop remaining dough by
- tablespoonfuls over caramel layer. Return to the oven for 15
- minutes. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 185 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.