These bars have a delightful combination of chocolate, caramel and walnuts. I often rely on bar cookies for their ease of preparation.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- CARAMEL LAYER:
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour until well combined. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute. Stir in walnuts. Spread over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 16-18 minutes or until set. Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Allow chips to soften for a few minutes, then spread over caramel layer. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Caramel Bars in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p76
Reviews for Chocolate Caramel Bars with Walnuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 29, 2011
"I've made these many times. Simple and inexpensive. I cooked the caramel layer a bit longer and they were fabulous. Don't last long either."
Reviewed Oct. 5, 2010
"Very fast and easy, the best part they were great!"