These bars have a delightful combination of chocolate, caramel and walnuts. I often rely on bar cookies for their ease of preparation.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- CARAMEL LAYER:
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour until well combined. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute. Stir in walnuts. Spread over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 16-18 minutes or until set. Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Allow chips to soften for a few minutes, then spread over caramel layer. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Caramel Bars in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p76
Reviews for Chocolate Caramel Bars with Walnuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 29, 2011
"I've made these many times. Simple and inexpensive. I cooked the caramel layer a bit longer and they were fabulous. Don't last long either."
Reviewed Oct. 5, 2010
"Very fast and easy, the best part they were great!"