- 1 package (11 ounces) caramels
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk, divided
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt caramels with 1/4 cup milk; stir until smooth. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in dry cake mix and remaining milk.
- Spread half of the dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 6 minutes; sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Gently spread caramel mixture over chips. Drop remaining dough by tablespoonfuls over caramel layer. Return to the oven for 15 minutes. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Caramel Bars
"Whenever I make these, they disappear almost before I can finish cutting them. They are the best bars ever. I've tried using the caramel chips, but the bars didn't turn out near as good. It's definitely worth the time to unwrap the regular caramels!!!"
"These bars are chewy like a brownie and have lots of chocolate flavor. I used a dark chocolate cake mix. I asked my husband to unwrap the caramels since he was the only one who would be eating them."
"Has anyone Tried to use caramel topping for this?"
"This turns out awesome every time!!! I made it with Devils food cake mix and caramel bits...perfect!!!"
"Winner! We actually call them "almost better than sex" bars, because they are almost that good!"
"Made these for my daughter's high school softaball team. Loved them. So easy to make. Used the Kraft caramel bits instead of unwrapping a bag of caramels. Will make again!"
"My family loves!"
"I have made these decadent caramel brownies many, many times over the past 20 years. They continue to receive rave reviews wherever I take them. Unwrapping the caramels takes a lot of time but it is worth the effort. Highly recommended!"
"My parents alwaysmade these at Christmas time, and this was one of the first recipes that I ever made when I was 9. It was always my job to take the wrappers off of the caramel, now my daughter does that for me."