Caramel apples get dressed up for this harvesttime holiday with chocolate, nuts and toffee bits. "Cut into wedges, these scrumptious apples are easy to share," says Linda Smith of Frederick, Maryland.
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 wooden sticks
- 4 large tart apples
- 2 cups chopped pecans or peanuts
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the caramels and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45 seconds; stir. Microwave 20-40 seconds longer or until the caramels are melted; stir until smooth.
- Insert wooden sticks into apples; dip apples into the caramel mixture, turning to coat. Coat with nuts; set on waxed paper to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over apples. Sprinkle with toffee bits. Place on waxed paper to cool. Cut into wedges to serve. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Caramel Apples in Taste of Home October/November 2002, p9
Reviews for Chocolate Caramel Apples
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review