Caramel apples get dressed up for this harvesttime holiday with chocolate, nuts and toffee bits. Cut into wedges, these scrumptious apples are easy to share. —Linda Smith, Frederick, Maryland.
Featured In: 50 Recipes for Homemade State Fair Food
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 wooden sticks
- 4 large tart apples
- 2 cups chopped pecans or peanuts
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the caramels and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45 seconds; stir. Microwave 20-40 seconds longer or until the caramels are melted; stir until smooth.
- Insert wooden sticks into apples; dip apples into the caramel mixture, turning to coat. Coat with nuts; set on waxed paper to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over apples. Sprinkle with toffee bits. Place on waxed paper to cool. Cut into wedges to serve. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Caramel Apples in Taste of Home October/November 2002, p9
Reviews forChocolate Caramel Apples
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 24, 2009
"I didn't make these, my friend did, using Granny Smith apples. I'm not a caramel gal but these were incredible! The tartness of the apple was the perfect foil for all that sweetness."