Chocolate Cannoli Cake Recipe
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the egg white, ricotta cheese, sugar, coffee and orange peel. Stir in chocolate chips; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the first eight batter ingredients; beat until well blended. Combine the flours, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- 3. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with heaping tablespoons of ricotta mixture; cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece: 213 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Chocolate Cannoli Cake
"This cake was just a little too moist and the ricotta mixture sank to the bottom. Weird."
"the family loved it!!! personally, i thought the smell was quite odd however"
"This was very easy to make. I substituted Kahlua for the coffee and it was delicious! My whole family really likes this cake. Next time I will add some chocolate chips and walnuts to the cake batter."
"The cake is better a day or two later. Wonderfully moist. I added some icing made of lemon juice and powder sugar and drizzled on top. It's a keeper."
"This is delicious and so easy to make."
"I made this cake this week and it is delicious. I will make it again."
"This was absolutely delicious! I made it a second time and used equal amts the reg. flour and the whole wheat flour with great results!"
"This cake was just too rich for us. I substituted Kahlua for the coffee in the ricotta mixture, so maybe that is what made it too rich. I will not be making this again."
"Thank you for the suggestions to use instead of the orange zest and orange juice. I can't wait to make this cake"
"I just made this, and could not wait for it to cool..... and boy.. what a wonderful surprise.. This cake is easy and good.."
"Cherry juice would probably work, too, if you wanted an additional flavor."
"I don't like orange zest in things either. Orange juice, meh. You could probably use apple juice. That wouldn't over power other flavors. Otherwise skim milk would probably work, too."
"I wanted to thank Lynette for the idea of using Kahlua instead of coffee. That sounds like a good idea!"
"I would like to make this cake but I am not a big fan of orange zest or orange juice in recipes is there something else that I could use instead of that?"
"I made this cake for a dinner party with friends. Everyone absolutely loved this incredibly moist cake. Within the week, I made 2 more cakes ... one to bring to work, where it got rave reviews and one for my 18-year-old son who requested a full cake for himself. This coming from the kid who does not usually care for chocolate! He ate the entire cake himself within a three-day period."
"I made this delicious recipe but changed one ingredient. I used Kahlua in place of the coffee. We took it to my in-laws and got rave reviews. I would definitely make this again. It is now in my book of family recipes. Easy to make and delicous!!!"
"Came out great. Everyone loved it!"