Chocolate Cannoli Cake Recipe
Hints of orange and coffee lend standout flavor to Mary Bilyeu's elegant Chocolate Cannoli Cake. “A variation of this cake was a finalist in the ‘Best Cake in Michigan’ contest,” she writes from Ann Arbor, Michigan. You’ll be shocked that something so good has just 8 g of fat per serving!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:15 servings
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the egg white, ricotta cheese, sugar, coffee and orange peel. Stir in chocolate chips; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the first eight batter ingredients; beat until well blended. Combine the flours, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- 3. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with heaping tablespoons of ricotta mixture; cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece equals 213 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC