- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-3/4 cups chocolate cake mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add the ricotta cheese, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. beat until smooth. Stir in chips; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes
- Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread filling over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Cannoli Cake Roll
"This is an awesome recipe and have made it for year. I can tell you from experience if you use even a drop too much vanilla your cannoli filling will be runny."
"Turned out great! I didn't have an issue with runny filling, just a lot of it. It tastes amazing though!"
"I used the basic receipt. Except t bought 20 pounds of bakers ricotta & used what I needed & fro pie the rest in smaller containers- it has lasted 6 months. The bakers ricotta is so thick there is no need to strain, plus it is very rich. To that I add, a couple large spoonfuls of cool whip , not low fat, and some spoonfuls of powdered sugar & I blend in chopped & dried out maraschino cherries plus 1-2 cups of mini choco chip, dash of nutmeg or chopped pistachios, if liked, I chill it all for 2 hours & fill shells or make a ricotta roll with chocolate cake., I give my italian mil for her great cooking!"
"I haven't made this yet ,but I have a lot of experience working with ricotta. It is usually put in a fine mesh sieve over a bowl and covered with plastic wrap. Then a plate is put on it and a heavy can on top of that , then it is left in the fridge to drain overnight. Especially ricotta from the grocery store it doesn't matter much in dishes like lasagne but a cake like this, the filling would need to be somewhat firmer, I hope this helps!"
"FILLING SOLUTION (maybe):I haven't made this as of yet so I can't attest to this solution. While reviewing other cannoli recipes I came across one where just about everyone complained of the filling being "soupy". One reader (familiar with making cannoli's) stated that the ricotta should be placed in a fine mesh sieve and allowed to drain for several hours or preferably overnight.I hope this information helped. If anyone tries it please post how it turned out."
"I originally cut this recipe out of a Taste of Home magazine and across the picture was 1st place winner! So I thought this would be a success. The picture is beautiful, but the problem is the filling. It tastes good, but like the other comments, the filling is so soupy, this is just a flop. Thinking it was my fault, I also tried it twice, refrigerated the filling first, but nothing works. I am still curious to know how you get it to look like the picture and how it even won 1st place. If someone could figure out how to correct this recipe, maybe I would make this again."
"I made this cake for the rehearsal dinner the night before my daughter's wedding. It was spectacular!! A little of the filling oozed out when I rolled the cake, but I just removed the extra (and ate it). I can't imagine why anyone found the filling to be grainy. It was smooth, rich and delicious. I will be making this again real soon."
"I should have read the reviews before purchasing the ingredients. This recipe was a waste of my time and money. My roll completely fell apart and ended up one huge mess on my counter.The filling was grainy. I followed the recipe exactly as written. It is pretty annoying when I needed this recipe for a family dinner."
"I thought it was my technique, tried this twice and the filling did not set, too runny, any hints?"