Our version of a famous Italian dessert features a creamy filling dotted with chocolate chunks. The chopped pistachios are an attractive touch.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/8 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 drop cinnamon oil, optional
- 1-3/4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 milk chocolate candy bar with almonds (4-1/4 ounces), chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, sugar, butter, vanilla, lemon peel and almond extract until blended. Combine flour and baking powder; stir into egg mixture and mix well.
- Bake in a preheated pizzelle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Remove cookies and immediately shape into tubes. Place on wire racks to cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon oil if desired. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat ricotta cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in custard mixture. Fold in chocolate. Spoon or pipe into shells. Dip each side in pistachios. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 filled pizzelle.
Originally published as Chocolate Cannoli in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p179
Reviews for Chocolate Cannoli
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review