Chocolate Cake with Sour Cream Recipe
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the chocolate, water sour cream, shortening, vanilla and eggs; mix well. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and baking powder; gradually add to chocolate mixture. Beat on low speed just until moistened. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine frosting ingredients. Beat until smooth and creamy. Spread between layers and over top and side of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Cake with Sour Cream
Sort By :
Made this for a work potluck- it was a huge hit! I accidentally cooked the cake for too long so it ended up just a little dry, however it still tasted great. I will definitely make this again!
This is my all-time favorite go-to chocolate cake recipe. I first found it on the back of a Gold Medal flour bag years ago.
To the reviewer who mentioned getting clumps of chocolate in the batter and the frosting: After melting the chocolate at a low heat and stirring it to make sure it's smooth, add it to the rest of the mixture as quickly as possible and beat it in at once very thoroughly. I've had those clumps form when I've let the chocolate cool too much--but don't add it when it's too warm, either. It can be tricky.
To the reviewer who found the cake a little dry: Try baking it for a shorter time. When you test it with a toothpick, a few crumbs might adhere to the pick. Take it out of the oven to cool--the cake will continue baking even though it's out of the oven during the 10 min. cooling time.
This cake is sooo moist and chocolaty! I took it to work and coworkers said the cake was so good that it ought to be a sin to to indulge in it.:)
This is my all-time favorite chocolate cake. It's very moist and quite rich.
I've made this several times for family and friends and they all rave about it and want the recipe. It is now my husbands favorite