- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup hot coffee or water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir; cook 30 seconds longer or until melted.
- In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil and egg. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until combined. Add the chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and chocolate; stir in the coffee until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Spread warm frosting over cake. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Cake with Coffee Frosting
Sort By :
"Wish I had read all the reviews before making this recipe. The icing is awesome but, like many others , we found the cake itself to be a little dry. I love the idea of adding some sour cream to the mix. The only thing I added was a teaspoonful of powdered espresso instant coffee to the cake mixture. Will try it again with some small changes."
"Really enjoyed the results, just now got a call , and we have guests coming over, I already started making the cake not knowing that I do not have chocolate, any advice for a substitute , will Cocoa work?"
"It is delicious and I keep making it for special occasions. But I cannot seem to get the frosting to work correctly..."
"I made these for my childen affer they came in from critter catchin, and oh golly did they much these up!! Something that I added (for a little cick to the snack) is a dollop of buuter... deeelicious!!"
"I made this cake today with a couple modifications. I used grapeseed oil instead of canola oil, and for the buttermilk, I used an almond milk and vinegar mixture. The cake turned out great, and we all enjoyed it for my husband's birthday! I would definitely make this cake again!"