I work evenings in the operating room at our local hospital. Since getting away for meals can be difficult, we occasionally plan potlucks. I'm frequently asked to bring my "chocolate cake with the special icing". -Irene Peery Charlottesville, Virginia
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup hot coffee or water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir; cook 30 seconds longer or until melted.
- In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil and egg. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until combined. Add the chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and chocolate; stir in the coffee until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Spread warm frosting over cake. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Moist Chocolate Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2004, p41
Reviews for Chocolate Cake with Coffee Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review