Chocolate Cake Roll Recipe
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Stir in vanilla. combine the flour, cocoa and salt; add to egg yolk mixture until blended.
- 2. Beat egg whites on medium until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, Beating on high until stiff peaks form. Stir a fourth of the egg white mixture into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg white mixture.
- 3. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-n. baking pan with parchment paper; greased the paper. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center (do not overbake). Cool for 5 minutes; invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off parchment paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire racks.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form; chill. Unroll cake; spread with whipped cream to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam down on serving platter; chill. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 225 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Cake Roll
"Really good, but never sure how it will turn out. Will it stick to parchment and break apart???"