This is a fun recipe because the chocolate makes in different from traditional bread pudding. It's a rich, comforting dessert.—Mildred Sherrer, Fort Worth, Texas
Recommended: 24 Christmas Puddings for the Holiday Season
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes (about 3 cups)
- Confectioners' sugar or whipped cream, optional
- In a small microwave-wave bowl, melt chocolate; stir until smooth.
- Stir in cream; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, milk, egg, vanilla and salt. Stir in chocolate mixture. Add bread cubes and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Spoon into two greased 2-cup souffle dishes. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- If desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar or top with a dollop of whipped cream. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Bread Pudding in Taste of Home October/November 1993, p22
Reviews for Chocolate Bread Pudding
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 9, 2013
"I absolutely love this recipe, super simple and super yum!"
Reviewed Apr. 12, 2011
"This is so good and easy to prepare. Great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream."