This is a fun recipe because the chocolate makes in different from traditional bread pudding. It's a rich, comforting dessert.—Mildred Sherrer, Fort Worth, Texas
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes (about 3 cups)
- Confectioners' sugar or whipped cream, optional
- In a small microwave-wave bowl, melt chocolate; stir until smooth.
- Stir in cream; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, milk, egg, vanilla and salt. Stir in chocolate mixture. Add bread cubes and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Spoon into two greased 2-cup souffle dishes. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- If desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar or top with a dollop of whipped cream. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Bread Pudding in Taste of Home October/November 1993, p22
Reviews for Chocolate Bread Pudding
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review