Chocolate Bread Pudding with Coconut Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 4-1/2 cups cubed day-old bread (about 9 slices)
- 1 cup flaked coconut, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream and grated chocolate, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and milk until butter is melted; stir in cocoa. Remove from the heat and set aside. Toss bread and 3/4 cup coconut; place in a greased 1-1/2-qt. shallow baking dish. Add sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt to milk mixture; mix well. Pour over the bread. Sprinkle with the remaining coconut. Place baking dish in a 13-in. x 9-in. pan in oven; add 1 in. of water to pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or cold; if desired, garnish with whipped cream and grated chocolate. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Bread Pudding in Reminisce Extra October 1994, p49
Reviews for Chocolate Bread Pudding with Coconut
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 6, 2011
Good and easy. Great use of leftover bread.
Reviewed Nov. 15, 2010
Made this with leftover challah, it was fantastic!
Reviewed Nov. 30, 2009
I skipped the coconut, as I'm not a fan. I sprinkled some chocolate chips on top once the pudding came out of the oven. It was delicious!