Chocolate Bread Pudding
This is one dessert made with busy yuletide hostesses in mind. It's festive, rich, a cinch to prepare and feeds a crowd!
8-10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3-3/4 cups milk
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 slices day-old bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a large saucepan, heat the milk, chocolate and salt over low heat,
- stirring until chocolate is melted; whisk until smooth. In a bowl,
- beat 2 eggs, 2 egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar until smooth; add
- extracts. Refrigerate remaining egg whites. Gradually beat chocolate
- mixture into eggs. Place bread cubes in a bowl; add chocolate
- mixture. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Place dish in a
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Fill pan with boiling water to a depth of
- 1 in. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40 minutes. Reduce heat to
- 350°. Beat reserved egg whites and remaining sugar until soft
- peaks form. Spoon around edges of baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes
- or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield:
- 8-10 servings.