Chocolate Bread Pudding
Nothing was wasted on the farm where I grew up in southwest Nebraskathis pudding was made from stale bread. My father loved chocolate, so if we weren't having this dessert, we'd have homemade chocolate ice cream or chocolate cake!
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 4-1/2 cups cubed day-old bread (about 9 slices)
- 1 cup flaked coconut, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream and grated chocolate, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and milk until butter is melted;
- stir in cocoa. Remove from the heat and set aside. Toss bread and
- 3/4 cup coconut; place in a greased 1-1/2-qt. shallow baking dish.
- Add sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt to milk mixture; mix well. Pour
- over the bread. Sprinkle with the remaining coconut. Place baking
- dish in a 13-in. x 9-in. pan in oven; add 1 in. of water to pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Serve warm or cold; if desired, garnish
- with whipped cream and grated chocolate. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 296 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium,