Chocolate Bread Pudding Recipe
Nothing was wasted on the farm where I grew up in southwest Nebraskathis pudding was made from stale bread. My father loved chocolate, so if we weren't having this dessert, we'd have homemade chocolate ice cream or chocolate cake!
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 4-1/2 cups cubed day-old bread (about 9 slices)
- 1 cup flaked coconut, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream and grated chocolate, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and milk until butter is melted; stir in cocoa. Remove from the heat and set aside. Toss bread and 3/4 cup coconut; place in a greased 1-1/2-qt. shallow baking dish. Add sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt to milk mixture; mix well. Pour over the bread. Sprinkle with the remaining coconut. Place baking dish in a 13-in. x 9-in. pan in oven; add 1 in. of water to pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or cold; if desired, garnish with whipped cream and grated chocolate. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Bread Pudding in Reminisce Extra October 1994, p49
Reviews for Chocolate Bread Pudding(3)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 6, 2011
Good and easy. Great use of leftover bread.
Reviewed Nov. 15, 2010
Made this with leftover challah, it was fantastic!
Reviewed Nov. 30, 2009
I skipped the coconut, as I'm not a fan. I sprinkled some chocolate chips on top once the pudding came out of the oven. It was delicious!