"My family will eat anything that has chocolate chips in it. These muffins are no exception," explains Shirley Oakman from Calgary, Alberta. If you would prefer, stir raisins into the muffin batter instead of adding chocolate chips.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips or raisins
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses. Combine the dry ingredients. Combine eggs and buttermilk; add to creamed mixture alternately with dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Moist Bran Muffins in Quick Cooking March/April 2004, p44
Reviews for Chocolate Bran Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review