What a beautiful sight this is on top of your favorite cake! It takes some time to prepare but can be made a month in advance, then stored in an airtight container. —Debbie Gauthier, Timmins, Ontario
10-12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + drying
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons vanilla or white chips, divided
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 1/2 large marshmallow
- Cut three 6-in. squares from freezer paper. Cut each square into six
- 1-in. strips. Set aside four strips. Place remaining strips shiny
- side up on a waxed paper-lined work surface.
- In a microwave, melt 1 cup vanilla chips and shortening; stir until
- smooth. Working quickly with a few strips at a time, spread
- chocolate beyond three sides of the strips onto the waxed paper,
- leaving 1/2 in. at one short end.
- Immediately peel each strip from work surface; place on clean waxed
- paper. Let strips dry just until barely set but still pliable, about
- 1 minute. (If chocolate strips become to stiff, warm in the
- microwave for a few seconds.)
- With paper side out, press ends of chocolate strips together. Stand
- strips on edges on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Chill until
- set, about 10 minutes. Carefully remove freezer paper.
- For ribbons, coat four reserved strips with chocolate; peel strips
- from work surface. On an inverted 9-in. x 1-1/2-in. round baking
- pan, place strips, chocolate side down at 90-degree angles to each
- other and drape 1-1/4 in. over side of pan. (If necessary, use a