Chocolate Bow Recipe
What a beautiful sight this is on top of your favorite cake! It takes some time to prepare but can be made a month in advance, then stored in an airtight container. —Debbie Gauthier, Timmins, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + drying YIELD:10-12 servings
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons vanilla or white chips, divided
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 1/2 large marshmallow
- 1. Cut three 6-in. squares from freezer paper. Cut each square into six 1-in. strips. Set aside four strips. Place remaining strips shiny side up on a waxed paper-lined work surface.
- 2. In a microwave, melt 1 cup vanilla chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Working quickly with a few strips at a time, spread chocolate beyond three sides of the strips onto the waxed paper, leaving 1/2 in. at one short end.
- 3. Immediately peel each strip from work surface; place on clean waxed paper. Let strips dry just until barely set but still pliable, about 1 minute. (If chocolate strips become to stiff, warm in the microwave for a few seconds.)
- 4. With paper side out, press ends of chocolate strips together. Stand strips on edges on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Chill until set, about 10 minutes. Carefully remove freezer paper.
- 5. For ribbons, coat four reserved strips with chocolate; peel strips from work surface. On an inverted 9-in. x 1-1/2-in. round baking pan, place strips, chocolate side down at 90-degree angles to each other and drape 1-1/4 in. over side of pan. (If necessary, use a drop of chocolate under the bottom edge to hold in place. With a toothpick, press the strip onto the dab of chocolate.) Chill until set; remove freezer paper.
- 6. Melt remaining chips in the microwave. Fill a plastic bag with melted chocolate; cut a small hole in the corner. Place marshmallow half, cut side down, in the center of a piece of waxed paper. Secure six chocolate loops around edge of marshmallow with melted chocolate; press ends down. Layer five more loops on top with ends touching. Secure with chocolate. Coat top of marshmallow with remaining chocolate; place remaining loops in center, pressing down. Let dry for 1 hour or overnight. Carefully peel waxed paper from bow. Place ribbons and bow on top of cake. Yield: 1 chocolate bow for a 9-in. round or springform cake.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC