This special dessert is a family tradition for Christmas dinner at our house. It's not too rich after a big meal, and it can be made ahead to give you time for other last-minute preparations. I've always loved trying new recipes, desserts especially.
Recommended: 30 Recipes to Make with Nutella
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon rum extract, optional
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dates or figs
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or raisins
- Line a 1-qt. round bowl with plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Quickly spread ice cream over the bottom and up the sides to within 1/2 in. of the top of bowl. Freeze for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup cream, sugar, egg yolks and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and rum extract if desired. Refrigerate until cooled.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate in water at 50% power for 30 seconds; stir until smooth. Gradually whisk into custard mixture. Beat remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture along with dates and nuts. Spoon into ice cream shell, spreading to completely cover the top. Cover and freeze overnight.
- Just before serving, remove from the freezer and invert onto a serving plate. Remove bowl and plastic wrap. Cut into wedges. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Bombe in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p48
Reviews for Chocolate Bombe
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review