Chocolate Beet Cake Recipe
The first time I baked this cake, my son loved its moistness, and he couldn't taste the beets.—Peggy Van Arsdale, Crosswicks, New Jersey
- 1 cup grated peeled uncooked beets (about 2 medium)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, toss beets with lemon juice; set aside. In a bowl, beat the eggs, butter, milk, honey and vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture and beat just until blended. Stir in beet mixture.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a bowl, beat the cream cheese, cream and vanilla until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar and salt. Spread over cooled cake. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 509 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 534 mg sodium, 78 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC