- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons grated semisweet chocolate
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Fold in cream.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a fourth of the cream mixture. Sprinkle with a fourth of the chocolate. Repeat layers three times. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Bavarian Torte
Sort By :
My favorite cake so far. This was incredibly easy to make, and the family loved it. It took only a few ingredients, so it didn't cost much, and it wasn't even time consuming. The taste of outstanding. I seriously only got one small piece and the cake was gone.
Unbelievably good! I only had 1/4 cup brown sugar and it still came out great. The taste reminds my family of an ice cream sandwich. Next time will play around with different flavors for the whipped cream - anxious to try almond or hazelnut.
Very easy to make- but very impressive. I made this cake several years ago, and lost it so I was very happy to find it online. Just remember it needs a day to set before serving!
I have made this cake over and over. One of my son's now says this is his favorite cake. It is also one of my favorites. However, the recipe in "The First 10 Years" cookbook has 2/3 cup brown sugar. I can't imagine the same taste only using 1/3 cup as states in the above recipe. Its the brown sugar that gives it the unique taste.
I have been making this cake since it came out in the magazine ! It is my go to cake for the perfect ending to any meal. It is now officially known as the birthday cake only because my husband and I can't eat it quick enough, our boys and grandkids come home for it ! awesome