Chocolate Bavarian Torte Recipe
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons grated semisweet chocolate
- 1. Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Fold in cream.
- 3. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a fourth of the cream mixture. Sprinkle with a fourth of the chocolate. Repeat layers three times. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Bavarian Torte
"This was really tasty! My cakes came out a bit flat and broke apart a bit when I took them out of the pan so I made the ingredients into a Trifle instead. It was still a hit with everyone and my company took some home!"
"I can't use whipping cream could I use Cool Whip in place of?"
"Unbelievably good! I only had 1/4 cup brown sugar and it still came out great. The taste reminds my family of an ice cream sandwich. Next time will play around with different flavors for the whipped cream - anxious to try almond or hazelnut."
"Very easy to make- but very impressive. I made this cake several years ago, and lost it so I was very happy to find it online. Just remember it needs a day to set before serving!"
"I have made this cake over and over. One of my son's now says this is his favorite cake. It is also one of my favorites. However, the recipe in "The First 10 Years" cookbook has 2/3 cup brown sugar. I can't imagine the same taste only using 1/3 cup as states in the above recipe. Its the brown sugar that gives it the unique taste."
"Wow this is so good. I had to google the difference between a torte and a cake but wow is this good. It's easy because it's a box cake mix but the topping is amazing! It's really fluffy when you put it on but once you refrigerate it, it's stiffens up a bit. I added red food coloring to the topping and made it for valentines day. It looks really good with pink topping and the chocolate shavings."
"This recipe got rave reviews from my husband's office when I made it for him to take in on Boss's Day. Because it was the first time I ever made it and you OBVIOUSLY can't deliver a cake with a chunk taken out of it, I hadn't tried it before the luncheon. When I started receiving messages about how wonderful it was I stopped in to visit and had a piece. What a delicious and easy recipe! I will most definitely make it again!"
"So easy and so good! Great make ahead dessert. Tasters always request the recipe and can't believe it's so simple. My 10 yr old granddaughter just made it for Mothers' Day"
"A fancy cake with relative ease in making and always a big hit with family and friends...I highly recommend it."
"Because this starts with a boxed mix, it is easy to make, but very delicious. I've made it several times and it has always gotten wonderful reviews. While it may bring back memories of a Devil Dog, it is MUCH better tasting! Moist and delicious. You won't be disappointed."
"We enjoyed this torte very much. For those of you who can remember the taste of the small hot dog shaped cake with a cream filling called a Devel Dog, then this will bring back memories."