My husband loves banana cream pie, and I like chocolate, so I combined the two. It's our favorite dessert, which means I get a lot of practice making it!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 eggs yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- Whipped cream and chocolate shavings, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add milk and cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Add a small amount to egg yolks; mix well. Return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour half into the pastry shell; cover and refrigerate. Add chocolate to remaining custard; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Do not stir.
- Arrange bananas over filling. Carefully spoon chocolate custard over all. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Banana Cream Pie in Country Extra May 1999, p49
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review