Chocolate Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 eggs yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- Whipped cream and chocolate shavings, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add milk and cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Add a small amount to egg yolks; mix well. Return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- 2. Pour half into the pastry shell; cover and refrigerate. Add chocolate to remaining custard; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Do not stir.
- 3. Arrange bananas over filling. Carefully spoon chocolate custard over all. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 396 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
"This is one of my family's favorite pies that I make. It's perfect as is. However, I have used fat free half&half instead of whipping cream and white Splenda Blenders instead of sugar (I don't know if it's still available in stores) and it turned out ok too. I love the semi-sweet chocolate because otherwise it would be too sweet for my taste. Also, I recommend using bananas that aren't too ripe, to keep it from being too sweet."
"I have made this recipe for the last six years since I found it on Taste of Home Magazine. Everyone I'm the family absolutely loves it and I've never had a complaint about the chocolate!!!!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.