Chocolate Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 eggs yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- Whipped cream and chocolate shavings, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add milk and cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Add a small amount to egg yolks; mix well. Return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour half into the pastry shell; cover and refrigerate. Add chocolate to remaining custard; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Do not stir.
- Arrange bananas over filling. Carefully spoon chocolate custard over all. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Banana Cream Pie(2)
Sort By :
I have made this recipe for the last six years since I found it on Taste of Home Magazine. Everyone I'm the family absolutely loves it and I've never had a complaint about the chocolate!!!!
This wasn't exactly what I expected. The vanilla pudding came out great but the chocolate pudding didn't match the rest of the flavors. The semi-sweet seemed to really compete with the flavor of the bananas. I think I would use milk chocolate chips next time so the banana wasn't overpowered.