Chocolate Banana Cream Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold 2% milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant banana cream pudding mix
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Beat in the bananas, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For filling, in a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat frosting until light and fluffy. Place bananas in a small bowl; toss with lemon juice.
- 5. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 3 tablespoons frosting. Stir pudding; spread half over the frosting. Top with half of the bananas and the remaining cake layer. Repeat frosting, filling and banana layers. Frost sides and decorate top edge of cake with remaining frosting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 490 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 459mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Banana Cream Cake
"Best cake!Didn't use the frosting though,But still it tasted great."
"Made this for my birthday & didn't want to share. Creamy & light."
"Amazing! I would definitely make this again!"
"I made this cake a couple of times and it is delicious!!!!"
"I made this for my dad's birthday, and I ended up liking it way better than I thought I would, not being a big banana fan. The cake is super moist, the filling is tasty, and I think it has just the right amount of chocolate flavor, although when I make it again I'll make my own chocolate frosting. Canned frosting is handy, but homemade tastes so much better."
"Children loved it. Will make again."
"Made this for my work party ! Huge hit... Everyone loved it... Going to make it again and again.."
"I have made this cake several times now, and everytime it is a hit! And I've never had to worry about the bananas turning brown...it never lasts that long!"
"This was an excellent cake and everyone said it was delicious. I thought the cake was "heavy" as specified, and will try to lighten it up a bit next time. I had only one cake pan, so I made a single layer cake, with the bananas and some raisins soaked in Grand Marnier, and also some more liquor in the frosting and pudding. Then added walnut halves for crunch."
"I made this for my fiance and two of our friends, we all LOVED it! It was delicious!The only problem I had with the recipe was having a hard time getting the stiff peaks with my eggs whites. I looked something up online and figured out it works much better with an egg at room temperature and with a little drop of lemon juice and a small splash of salt. After doing that it worked perfectly!"
"My family of 5 loved this cake. I did read the other reviews and chose to limit the chocolate frosting to just the top of cakes and not the sides, and then pulled the pudding to the edge so it could drip down on its own. With that the frosting did not over power the bananas. I did smooth down plastic wrap over the top and sides of my leftovers so no air got to it. I had no problem with lasting till it was gone:)"
"My sister in law made this and sent half of the cake home with us. I only got one bite of the last piece because my husband ate it all. He called her up and told her it was 'killer'!"
"I have made this 4 times and its always the hit of the party."
"This was a good cake. I agree with the other reviewer, that the chocolate did overpower the banana at times. In the future, I'd like to make my own chocolate frosting and avoid the pre-made stuff (most are full of trans fats). I also recommend eating this cake within 2 days. Even with the lemon wash, the bananas will eventually turn and the cake did get a little soggy. Otherwise, this recipe came out exactly like the picture and was delicious."
"This was good however the chocolate overpowered the flavor of the banana cake."