Chocolate Applesauce Cake
Applesauce adds moistness to this tender cake with a sweet chocolate and nut topping. "It's breeze to make and perfect for picnics," comments Sue Braunschweig of Delafield, Wisconsin.
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time,
- beating well after each addition. Combine dry ingredients; add to
- the creamed mixture alternately with applesauce. Pour into a greased
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle
- over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with margarine and egg substitute) equals 283 calories, 274 mg sodium, trace cholesterol, 44 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm protein, 12 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 fruit.