Chocolate Angel Pie Recipe
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Chopped nuts, optional
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar and beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until soft glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly into a well-greased 9-in. pie pan. Bake at 275° for 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For filling, melt chocolate in a small heavy saucepan or microwave; sir until smooth. Stir in coffee and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- 3. In a chilled small bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture. Pour into the meringue shell. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Refrigerate, for several hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 324 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Chocolate Angel Pie
"This pie turned out deliciously, even after I forgot and left the crust on the counter for 5 hours! The finished result is so much more attractive than the photo and it was delicious! Even my dessert-hating husband ate seconds! Going to make it for my family's beach trip next week."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.