- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Chopped nuts, optional
- Place egg whites in a small bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar and beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until soft glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly into a well-greased 9-in. pie pan. Bake at 275° for 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, melt chocolate in a small heavy saucepan or microwave; sir until smooth. Stir in coffee and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- In a chilled small bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture. Pour into the meringue shell. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Refrigerate, for several hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Angel Pie
"This was not the pie my mother used to make, despite the same name. This one did not have enough meringue to make a nice crust and the filling seemed watery, mealy and bittersweet. I will try to find my mom's recipe. Hers had a thick meringue crust and a smooth, slightly heavier than mousse filling, and walnuts in the bottom of the crust. It was amazing."