Chocolate Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups egg whites (about 14)
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Sift flour and cocoa together three times; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Sprinkle with cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Blend in vanilla. Sift about a fourth of the flour mixture by fourths. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 1 hour. Turn off the oven, but let cake sit in the oven for 5 minutes. Removed from the oven and immediately invert pan; cool. Loosen sides of cake from pan and remove. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 190 calories, 1g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Chocolate Angel Food Cake
"Hi Cooking USA, in order to successfully bake this cake in a convection oven you need to reduce the temperature, not just the baking time. Please refer to your oven manual to convert the time and temperature accordingly for the best results.Sue Stetzel - Online Community Manager, Taste of Home"
"This was the first "from scratch" angel food cake recipe that I ever tried and it turned out so well, that it quickly became a family favorite! I've made it time and time again, and it always turns out moist and delicious. I like to add a Tbl. of minced fresh peppermint to the batter for a nice change of pace."
"I made this cake for my dad on father's day. He loved the batter, proclaiming that I was making French silk pie. However, the cake turned out dry. I think the cooking time is way too long. I use the "convection bake" setting on my oven, which normally shortens the time. However, I shortened this recipe by ten minutes, and the cake was still way overdone."