- 13 egg whites
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- COFFEE ICING:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons strong brewed coffee
- Let egg white stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa and baking powder together twice; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla, lemon juice and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about a fourth at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest rack at 350° for 45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry. Immediately, invert baking pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate.
- For icing, in a bowl cream butter, sugar and cocoa until light and fluffy. Add lemon juice and vanilla; mix well. Thin to desired consistency by beating in coffee at teaspoon at a time. Spread icing over cooled cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Angel Food Cake with Coffee Icing in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Spring 2009, p77
Reviews for Chocolate Angel Food Cake with Coffee Icing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review