Chocolate Angel Food Cake with Chocolate Icing Recipe
- 12 egg whites
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour and cocoa together twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- For icing, in a small bowl, beat the confectioners’ sugar, cocoa, sour cream, milk and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Angel Food Cake with Chocolate Icing
"Excellent cake. It came out perfectly. My family loved it."
"Use the left over yolks for noodles!"
"I made this today and it is sooooooooo good!! The kids and I ate almost the whole thing. I didn't add the icing, it was sweet and yummy without it. I will be making this again and again!!"
"Just a reply as to what you do with 12 egg yolks. I usually use whipped cream to top cream pies, so I save the three egg whites in a baggie. Also when I make pudding. When I have enough frozen, I thaw them and make an angelfood cake. Works really well. You could also cook the egg yolks in boiling water until firm, cool and grate over creamed asparagus or dried beef sandwiches. MMMMN, GOOD!"
"Wonderful.... But... what do you do with 12 egg yolks???"
"Toasted it and the topped it off with Ice Cream and Strawberries. Out of this world."
"This cake was delicious. I think the homemade recipe is much better than a box mix. Lots of favorable comments!WER, Iowa"
"Thank you so much, dharens, for the info. sometimes you just want to use a shortcut when you are in a crunch for time.I also bake 'from scratch', but that's not always possible."
"This reminds me of one I make with angel food cake mix - have for a long time. one box angel food cake mix, 1 1/4 cups cold water, 1/2 c baking cocoa. Mix together, put into ungreased angel food cake pan. bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. My family loves it. The grandchildren request it even for birthday cakes."
"I have made many angel food cakes. Much better than a box mix. Consider it a challenge."