Chocolate and Vanilla Creme Brulee Recipe
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 9 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat cream until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar. Remove cream from the heat; stir a small amount of hot cream into egg yolk mixture. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla. Set aside.
- 2. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Slowly whisk in 2 cups of cream mixture until smooth. Transfer to eight ungreased 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups.
- 3. Slowly pour remaining cream mixture over the back of a small spoon into the ramekins, forming layers. Place ramekins in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- 5. If using a creme brulee torch, sprinkle custards with remaining sugar; heat until caramelized. Serve immediately.
- 6. If broiling the custards, place ramekins on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes or until caramelized. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until chilled. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate and Vanilla Creme Brulee
"Add a little fresh fruit to the top at the end too, blueberries, strawberries, etc."
"This is a great creme brulee recipe! When I made it for family, they loved it. It could easily stand up against a fancy restaurant's version. Also, the twist of the chocolate in the bottom is a nice way to make creme brulee just that much fancier."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.