- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 16 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, beat the wine, eggs, oil and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; gradually beat into wine mixture until blended.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled. Beat until soft peaks form, about 15 seconds. Pipe over cupcakes. Yield: 2 dozen.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Chocolate and Red Wine Cupcakes
"The cupcakes themselves were quite good-many layers of flavor; however, I will never make the frosting again. If you do make it, you need to really let it cool forever, not just until chilled. Plus the frosting itself was not very manageable. I will make the cupcakes again, but I will use one of my favorite frostings instead of this one."
"The red wine makes the cupcake decadent!"