Chocolate and Fruit Trifle
This refreshing dessert layered with devil's food cake, a creamy pudding mixture, red berries and green kiwi is perfect for the holidays. I like making it in a clear glass trifle bowl to show off its festive colors.
-Angie Dierikx, State Center, Iowa
12-16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions; pour into a
- greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20
- minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Crumble enough cake to
- measure 8 cups; set aside. (Save remaining cake for another use.)
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk, water and pudding mix for 2 minutes.
- Let stand for two minutes or until soft-set. Fold in the whipped
- To assemble, spread 2-1/2 cups pudding mixture in a 4-qt. glass bowl.
- Top with half of the crumbled cake; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon
- orange juice. Arrange half of the berries and kiwi over cake.
- Repeat pudding and cake layers; sprinkle with remaining orange juice.