My mother made this silky pie when I was a child. It was my father's favorite. The fluffy chocolate-almond filling is held in a thin chocolate shell. Be warned, it is so rich that you should only take a sliver.—Jamie Burkhart, Windsor, Missouri
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup Amaretto
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with foil and grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt 1 cup chocolate chips with 1/4 cup butter; quickly spread in an even layer over bottom and sides of prepared pan. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the condensed milk, salt and remaining butter and chips until melted; stir until well blended. Gradually stir in the water; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add amaretto; cook for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Cool to room temperature.
- Fold half of whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Using foil, lift chocolate shell out of pan; gently peel off foil. Return shell to the pie plate; spoon filling into shell. Garnish with remaining whipped cream; sprinkle with almonds. Chill for 3 hours or until set. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate-Amaretto Mousse Pie in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p278
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate-Amaretto Mousse Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 4, 2014
"It doesn't say, but is the "crust" up the sides or just the bottom of the pan?"