Chocolate Almond Wafers Recipe
When my children were younger, we'd make dozens of different cookies and candies. Then we'd pack up an assortment of each and deliver them to friends. These mouthwatering wafers were always a favorite.—Phyl Broich-Wessling, Garner, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:56 servings
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in sliced almonds.
- 2. Shape dough into a 14-in. log. Roll in ground almonds. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- 3. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 60 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 26 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC