Chocolate Almond Stacks Recipe
A yummy blend of almonds, whipped cream and chocolate sauce goes into this showpiece dessert from Leah Lyon of Ada, Oklahoma. She suggests lightly toasting the almonds for extra flavor.
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt chocolate with 1 tablespoon cream; stir until smooth. In a small bowl, beat the egg, sugar and vanilla on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and pale yellow. Fold in flour and melted chocolate. Pour into two 5-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Cut cakes in half widthwise.
- 3. In a small saucepan, melt chocolate chips with 3 tablespoons cream, stirring constantly. Spread over top of cakes; sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat almond extract with remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Spread half of the whipped cream on top of two cake squares; top each with a remaining cake square and remaining whipped cream. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving equals 793 calories, 62 g fat (30 g saturated fat), 229 mg cholesterol, 69 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC