- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate with 1 tablespoon cream; stir until smooth. In a small bowl, beat the egg, sugar and vanilla on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and pale yellow. Fold in flour and melted chocolate. Pour into two 5-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Cut cakes in half widthwise.
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate chips with 3 tablespoons cream, stirring constantly. Spread over top of cakes; sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat almond extract with remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Spread half of the whipped cream on top of two cake squares; top each with a remaining cake square and remaining whipped cream. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Almond Stacks in Cooking for 2 Winter 2006, p33
Reviews for Chocolate Almond Stacks
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review