Chocolate Almond Silk Pie Recipe
This pie recipe is one I clipped years ago that became a big hit with my husband and three daughters. I've been baking since I was 9 years old. Back then, my friends and I would get together on Saturdays to bake chocolate chip cookies...but we liked the dough so much we ate lots of it raw! Of all the cooking I do today, I think I still enjoy baking best.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Sweetened whipped cream and toasted sliced almonds, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Beat on low speed until well combined, about 2-3 minutes. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For filling, combine sugar and eggs in a small saucepan until well blended. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon and reaches 160°. Remove from the heat. Stir in chocolate and almond extract until smooth. Cool to lukewarm (90°), stirring occasionally.
- 3. In a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add cooled egg mixture; beat on high speed for 5 minutes. Pour into cooled pie shell. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving. Garnish with whipped cream and almonds if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC