Chocolate Almond Silk Pie
This pie recipe is one I clipped years ago that became a big hit with my husband and three daughters. I've been baking since I was 9 years old. Back then, my friends and I would get together on Saturdays to bake chocolate chip cookies...but we liked the dough so much we ate lots of it raw! Of all the cooking I do today, I think I still enjoy baking best.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Sweetened whipped cream and toasted sliced almonds, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Beat on low
- speed until well combined, about 2-3 minutes. Press onto the bottom
- and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 400° for
- 8-10 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, combine sugar and eggs in a small saucepan until well
- blended. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture coats
- the back of a metal spoon and reaches 160°. Remove from the
- heat. Stir in chocolate and almond extract until smooth. Cool to
- lukewarm (90°), stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add cooled egg