- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, heat apricot preserves and amaretto
- on low until preserves are melted, stirring occasionally; set aside.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the butter, confectioners' sugar
- and cocoa until light and fluffy. Add water and amaretto. Beat on
- low speed until combined. Beat on medium for 1 minute or until
- frosting achieves spreading consistency.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place a bottom layer on a
- serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Top with another
- cake layer; spread with 2/3 cup frosting. Top with third layer and
- remaining filling. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Gently press
- almonds into the sides. Refrigerate for several hours before
- Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 493 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 327 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.