Chocolate Almond Pinecones
Our Test Kitchen suggests this clever way of dressing up any winter dessert. Make these "pinecones" when you have some time, then useand reusethem on a variety of desserts...or even on a pretty plate piled with candies.
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + standing
- 1 tube (7 ounces) almond paste
- 4 ounces Diamond of California Sliced Almonds
- 1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Divide almond paste into six equal portions. Form each into a cone
- shape, about 1-1/2 in. tall and 1 in. in diameter. Beginning at the
- base, insert pointed end of almonds into paste to resemble a
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir
- until smooth. Insert a toothpick into bottom of each cone. Holding
- over bowl, spoon melted chocolate over almonds (if needed, use
- another toothpick to spread the chocolate to completely cover
- almonds). Place on a wire rack over waxed paper; let stand until
- firm. Yield: 6 pinecones.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 447 calories, 31 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 8 g protein.