Chocolate Almond Logs
These awesome almond and chocolate treats are always popular at our annual church cookie sale. The tray empties in no time!
20 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter-flavored shortening, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white chips or 6 ounces white candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- In a small bowl, cream butter, 1/2 cup shortening and sugar. Beat in
- egg and extract. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to
- creamed mixture.
- Shape rounded tablespoonfuls of dough into 2-1/2-in. logs. Place 2
- in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10
- minutes or until set. Cool on wire racks.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt white chips and remaining
- shortening. Dip one end of each cookie in melted chips; allow excess
- to drip off. Roll in almonds. Place on waxed paper to firm. Yield:
- about 3 dozen.