Chocolate Almond Ice Cream Recipe
“It wouldn’t be the Fourth of July for our family without this special treat,” writes Alice Hicken of Heber City, Utah. “Even though electric models make it easier, I still prefer to hand-crank ice cream.”
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 to 7 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for at least 2 minutes. In a large heavy saucepan, heat the milk, sugar and salt until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in gelatin mixture until dissolved; stir in chocolate until blended. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, stir in almonds. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 2-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Chocolate Almond Ice Cream in Taste of Home June/July 2006, p46
Reviews for Chocolate Almond Ice Cream(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2011
creamie, chocolatie goodness. This was my 1st try w/homemade ice cream, pretty easy. Hubby even liked it & he's a tough critic when it comes to ice cream. Thanks for the recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Ice Cream >
- Chocolate Ice Cream Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >