Chocolate Almond Brittle
Here in Kern County, there are thousands of acres of almond orchards. I like to experiment with recipes-always trying to come up with something new. This candy is the result of altering, adding and a lot of taste testing (somebody had to do it!). I think it turned out rather well.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 pound dark or milk chocolate candy coating
- In a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, corn syrup and
- salt. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-1/2 minutes. Stir in
- almonds; cook on high for 2-1/2 minutes. Add the butter and vanilla;
- cook on high for 1 minute.
- Stir in baking soda. As soon as the mixture foams, quickly pour onto
- a greased metal baking sheet. Cool completely. Break into 2-in.
- Melt chocolate coating in a microwave. Dip one side of brittle in
- chocolate and place on waxed paper to harden. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: about 1 pound.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 ounces) equals 483 calories, 22 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 313 mg sodium, 73 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.