Chocolate Almond Bars
Loaded with almond flavor, these chewy bars are one of my husband's favorite sweet treats.
48 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + cooling Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for
- 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
- In a saucepan, combine the milk and 1 cup chocolate chips. Cook and
- stir over low heat until chips are melted. Remove from the heat;
- cool slightly. Stir in egg, almonds and extract. Spread over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpicks inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. In a
- microwave, melt shortening and remaining chips; drizzle over top.
- Cut into bars. Yield: 4 dozen.