Choco-Tato Truffles Recipe
Who knew yesterday's mashed potatoes could become a decadent truffle dessert? Rich, dark chocolate with a slightly nutty texture and just a hint of Irish Cream make these luscious treats a must. —Kathy Keleher, Oak Creek, Wisconsin
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup ground pecans
- 1/3 cup mashed potatoes (with added milk)
- 2 tablespoons Irish cream liqueur, Kahlua, or strong brewed coffee
- Baking cocoa or additional ground pecans
- 1. In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, heat the chocolate chips, unsweetened chocolate and butter until melted, whisking frequently. Whisk a small amount of mixture into egg yolk. Return all to the heat, whisking constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in the sugar, pecans, mashed potatoes and Irish cream. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- 3. Roll truffles in cocoa or additional pecans. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 truffle equals 65 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 11 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC